How to Join

In order to join this site, you must complete two steps: 1. join the CUNY Academic Commons, and 2. join History of English (LING 390). This page includes instructions on how to do each step. Unfortunately, there is no way to do both at once. You should be a member of our class site by August 26th, but the earlier the better!

1. Join the CUNY Academic Commons

You have all received an invitation to join the CUNY Academic Commons. These invitations have been sent to the email address associated with your @login.cuny.edu account. (If you have not received that email, you can register here.) That email should look like this (except it’ll say Ling 390 instead of Ling 301): Click the link in the bottom paragraph, to “register and accept the invitation.” (This is a misnomer, because it won’t actually accept the invitation to the class site. Why? The world just likes to keep us on our toes sometimes.) That link will take you here. That page will look like this: At that page, you enter your account credentials, including your username, a CUNY email address, a password, and your full name. Please put the first and last name that you actually use in there, because this will help me find you to add you to the site. (In other words, don’t put “Joe Anonymous” or something.) Scrolling down, there will be a place to check off that you’re an “Undergraduate Student” as well as to accept the Terms of Service. Then, click “Complete Sign Up,” as shown below: After that, you’ll be taken to the following page: At that point, you should visit the inbox for the email account you used to sign up to the Commons with. You will have an email in your inbox that looks like this: Click the activation link in that email, and you’ll be taken to the following page: This seems daunting, but the activation key is autopopulated, so you just have to click “Activate,” and you’ll be all set. At that point, it may automatically log you in. If it doesn’t, go to commons.gc.cuny.edu and click “Log In” at the top right of the screen, and enter your credentials. When you’re logged in, your Dashboard will look like this: Congratulations! You’ve completed step 1.

Step 2: Joining this class website

Luckily, step 2 is a lot quicker than step 1. All you have to do is email me (joseph.pentangelo@gmail.com) to let me know you’ve made a Commons account. Then, I’ll send you another invitation email to join the class site. It will look identical to the first email shown above, reproduced below (although, again, it’ll say Ling 390 rather than Ling 301): But since you already have a Commons account, this time you’ll click the link that says “click this link to claim your invitation.” And then you’ll be added to the site! And if that doesn’t work, email me right away, and I’ll help you troubleshoot the issue.